As a successful beekeeper since 2005, managing about twenty of my own hives every year, I will share sound hive management principles, equipment recommendations and essential bee biology insights that will help you build the skills and confidence needed to keep bees sustainably year after year without buying inferior out-of-state bees every spring to replace unnecessary winter losses.
My long-term goal is to help build a strong, local, well informed beekeeping community. Locally produced bees have been shown to be superior in many ways. We can drastically limit annual colony losses by following modern, fact-based beekeeping principles. By producing our own queens and bees, we will gradually produce a “Whatcom County Bee” that is acclimatized to our local, maritime conditions.
My Bee Background:
- “The Art of Queen Rearing” – 2007 Three day queen rearing workshop with Sue Cobey at The Laidlaw Honey Bee Research Facility, University of California – Davis
- WSBA Apprentice Beekeeper Certificate – 2010
- Bee Master Certificate – 2012 The week-long Bee Master course is the oldest advanced beekeeping course in North America. Intended for beekeepers with extensive experience who wish to learn more about apiculture research and science. University of British Columbia and BC Provincial Apiculture Department.
- WSBA Journeyman Beekeeper Certificate – 2015
- “School of Hands-On Beekeeping” 2005-2017 Curriculum: lots of hot, cold, sunny, rainy days working in apiaries all over Whatcom County. I’m blessed with having met and worked with many experienced, veteran beekeepers in our area. They have generously shared their beekeeping skills, insights and secrets with me over the years. Thanks Guys! – Dean of Students: Michael Jaross
There was plenty of bee keeping information in print and on line, but what ultimately worked for me was [finding Michael] and having him become my “bee mentor”. … Read more “Dick Steinkamp”
Due to [Michael’s] help I am a much more confident bee keeper and able to manage challenges on my own.… Read more “Gary Bachman”
I recommend contacting Michael for any beekeeping questions.… Read more “Chuck Howell”
Brian and Marcia Hoelzen
The northwest is a challenging place to be a beekeeper, but Michael has saved our hives more than once.… Read more “Brian and Marcia Hoelzen”
[Michael has] come to my home and guided me through inspections, identified problems, and helped me understand the intricacies of beekeeping.… Read more “Emilie Jenkins”
Kirsten Drickey and Kendall Whitney
Michael’s thorough and thoughtful advice helped us weather our first season as beekeepers, and I look forward to learning more from him as we–hopefully!–advance in our skills as beekeepers.… Read more “Kirsten Drickey and Kendall Whitney”
I would trust Michael to do the best for me and my bees.… Read more “Janet Wilson”
[Michael] has encyclopedic knowledge of honey bees, beekeeping, and honey production, and he is able to share it in an understandable way.… Read more “Evan Jones”